Yesterday Caitlin had her surgery number 3 on her fingers. I think we are on the tail end of the surgery thing. Hopefully! The Dr. replaced some of the old skin graft with new from her right groin area. The Dr. said that we could've waited on the surgery, but I thought what the heck, let's do it now. I wanted to get it done before she had to start kindergarten. With it being her right hand and all, I didn't want to stress her out by having to use the left hand for writing. For those who don't know, when she was 10 months old, she had an accident with the treadmill. I was using it but then had to go upstairs for something. I shut it off but didn't take the key out. Caidin, who was 2 at the time, turned it on and was playing on it. Caitlin crawled up to it and tried to get on it but got her hand caught in the roller where it goes down and around again. I heard her screaming cries but didn't react fast enough to save her hand from the horrible burn. It looked horrible. I thought that maybe she wouldn't have any fingers or maybe no use in her 2 fingers. I was amazed that with her whole hand being under the treadmill roller, that her it didn't get the severe burn. Only the 2 middle fingers. I know the Lord was looking out for her! So, after many days of therapy, surgeries with pins in the fingers, lots of tears, pain, and heart ache, I think we are on the last road of healing. I can't even imagine the pain that people go through with burns all over their bodies! These are just 2 little fingers and they cause a lot of pain and tons of therapy! So one advice for everyone with treadmills........always, always, always.....did I say ALWAYS?....Well, always take the key OUT of the treadmill and put it way up high. Stash it away! Stick it in your bra, I don't care! Keep it away from the treadmill if you are not on it! I've heard worse stories than mine about those treadmills. So that's my lecture on treadmills. So back to Caitlin, she is recovering great. She hates the pain medicine cuz it taste so nasty. She refuses to take it on a regular basis. She only takes it when she is in complete pain and can't handle it any longer. She goes to the Dr. on monday to get her hand rewrapped. So I will get a upclose, gross picture of her fingers. So beware! She's doing great! Thanks for all the prayers!
"By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" Alma 37: 6
Friday, April 25, 2008
Surgery #3
Yesterday Caitlin had her surgery number 3 on her fingers. I think we are on the tail end of the surgery thing. Hopefully! The Dr. replaced some of the old skin graft with new from her right groin area. The Dr. said that we could've waited on the surgery, but I thought what the heck, let's do it now. I wanted to get it done before she had to start kindergarten. With it being her right hand and all, I didn't want to stress her out by having to use the left hand for writing. For those who don't know, when she was 10 months old, she had an accident with the treadmill. I was using it but then had to go upstairs for something. I shut it off but didn't take the key out. Caidin, who was 2 at the time, turned it on and was playing on it. Caitlin crawled up to it and tried to get on it but got her hand caught in the roller where it goes down and around again. I heard her screaming cries but didn't react fast enough to save her hand from the horrible burn. It looked horrible. I thought that maybe she wouldn't have any fingers or maybe no use in her 2 fingers. I was amazed that with her whole hand being under the treadmill roller, that her it didn't get the severe burn. Only the 2 middle fingers. I know the Lord was looking out for her! So, after many days of therapy, surgeries with pins in the fingers, lots of tears, pain, and heart ache, I think we are on the last road of healing. I can't even imagine the pain that people go through with burns all over their bodies! These are just 2 little fingers and they cause a lot of pain and tons of therapy! So one advice for everyone with treadmills........always, always, always.....did I say ALWAYS?....Well, always take the key OUT of the treadmill and put it way up high. Stash it away! Stick it in your bra, I don't care! Keep it away from the treadmill if you are not on it! I've heard worse stories than mine about those treadmills. So that's my lecture on treadmills. So back to Caitlin, she is recovering great. She hates the pain medicine cuz it taste so nasty. She refuses to take it on a regular basis. She only takes it when she is in complete pain and can't handle it any longer. She goes to the Dr. on monday to get her hand rewrapped. So I will get a upclose, gross picture of her fingers. So beware! She's doing great! Thanks for all the prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I remember that, poor girl. Hopefully this will be the last surgery for her.
We had a scare with the treadmill about 2 years ago too. Ethan got his toe stuck in one and we were so scared because Paul had to pry it out. He has a small scar left but nothing like Caitlin's. I sure hope that one day she will be pretty much perfect.
Poor Caitlin. I hope that this is the last surgery for her. Let me know if you need anything.
When I got to see her hand in person for the first time last June, it really looked so much better than I had expected. I know she has been through a lot and has come a long way with the healing process, for which I am so grateful. I'm sure the outcome of this surgery will be good, too. Love the bandage color!!!! It's so bright and cheerful looking!!!!
Oh little Caitin! you are a trooper! Hang in there.
Post a Comment